I’ve just updated the design of this site. The goal was to make it responsive, so that it would work well on small screens, but I made other changes along the way. The body type is now serif rather than sans, and much larger. I made lots of other tweaks as I worked on pages.
Making a responsive design was fun: it meant working out mechanisms for the layout rather than just a static design.
Of course, it’s easy to get carried away. Take a look at what happens to my name in the header when the screen gets below 300 pixels: Ned Batchelder becomes nedbat to save space. This was accomplished with the help of a span with class “chelder”...
It took me a long time to make this design. I started it 15 months ago, but stopped work on it for more than a year. I picked it up again two weeks ago, and powered through the remaining work.
Behind the scenes, I changed only one thing: using Sass to generate the CSS. The rest is still as janky and difficult as always.
For comparison (and posterity), here is the design I just replaced. If anything seems amiss with the new design, just let me know.