Friday 17 February 2006 — This is more than 17 years old. Be careful.
Through a series of missteps, this domain name is due to expire on Sunday, and I cannot seem to get in touch with the current registrar. I’ve initiated a transfer to another registrar, but the status is set to Locked, so I don’t think it will succeed. I fear the worst. One of the reasons the domain is expiring is that I did not receive the usual “your domain is about to expire” emails from the registrar. Their “forgot password” link doesn’t seem to do anything. Wish me luck. If anyone’s got any ideas about how to rescue a beloved domain name from the horrors of incompetent registrars and malicious squatters, please chime in.
Also I had my domain for a long time so this page applied to me a while ago when I had to renew. Make sure you have an account on the new system. I had to set one up I think.
Say goodbye Gracie...
That sounds like fun. Count me in if you need help. I love your site.
Save everything you can, and open your website anywhere else, I'll follow.
Buy "nedbatcheldercantdie.com", for example, and keep on providing so many excellent articles.
If worse comes to worst, I've just set up ned.manuzhai.nl to point to your host, so I guess you could use that (but then any dyndns-like thingie would do for that).
Then make sure you switch to GoDaddy - they are a great registrar with good systems and human availability on the telephone when required.
The hosting isn't at risk, and the site isn't going away. I just need to get the domain name sorted out.
The same thing happened to a popular forum I frequent, and the "new registrar" basically holds the domain hostage, requiring $$ to release it to you.
As I recall it was a couple hundred bucks at the time.
Once you tell me you have an order in for the domain on expiry I'll be happy to remove my order if you so ask me. I backordered it as insurance, and despite Michael Chermside's assertions, if it comes to a fight I think the more people you have on your side bidding for it the more likely it will be you can ultimately retain control.
As to how likely it is that someone else would want the domain we can only speculate, can't we? Better safe that sorry would seem to be the cautious approach.
We're all hopeful that this matter will be resolved with perhaps nothing more than a brief interruption in domain name services.
Add a comment: