Kottke posts Guidelines for focusing on learning:
- Release the need to be right.
- Welcome one another’s thoughts and opinions.
- Suspend judgment.
- Listen for understanding, not rebuttal.
- Make personal statements by using “I” rather than “you”.
- Clarify first what was said before you challenge someone.
- Take time to reflect.
- Lean into discomfort.
- Respond first to what was said before making your point.
- Have fun.
Normally, I wouldn’t just copy the entire list here, but I really like this list. I’d like to think that I do these things, but I’m sure I have a long way to go (and I’m even more sure that my co-workers would agree). It’s a great set of guidelines for all of us.
Add a comment: